Christ Church



Architects William and Segar Owen. 1902 – 1904. The church was built as a memorial to William Hesketh Lever’s parents.

Sea Piece Fountain



Unveiled in July 1950, designed by sculptor Sir Charles Wheeler, ‘Sea Piece’ was presented by the trustees ofThe Lady Lever Art Gallery to Lever Brothers to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Lady Lever.

Port Sunlight Museum

Built in 1913, originally the Girl’s Club, now the Trust offices and Port Sunlight Museum, tells the story of the village’s history.

Lady Lever Art Gallery

Opened 1922, Built by W.H.Lever as a memorial to his wife who died in 1913

Leverhulme Hotel

Originally the Cottage Hosptial built as a miniature replica of an urban hospital in 1907. Renovation work took place in 2008 then it became the Leverhulme Boutique Hotel.

Christ Church

Architects William and Segar Owen. 1902 – 1904. The church was built as a memorial to William Hesketh Lever’s parents.

The Bridge Inn

Opened in 1900 as a temperance meeting house, the Bridge gained its licence in 1903. It originally stood alongside a magnificent bridge until the road was raised to road level.

Hulme Hall

Built from 1901 – 1902 by William and Segar Owen. Taking Lever’s wife’s maiden name, Hulme Hall was originally a woman’s dining hall seating 1,500 girls.

The Lyceum

Built between 1894 – 1896 it originally played the dual role of village school and church. It was replaced un 1903 by Church Drive School and renamed the Lyceum.

Bridge Cottage

Between 1986 – 1897 William Hesketh Lever lived in Bridge Cottage while he was making alterations to Thornton Hough, his stately home.

The Dell

The Dell Bridge was built in 1894, spans the only remaining tidal channel preserved as a landscape feature.

Gladstone Theatre

Built in 1891 and opened by William Ewart Gladstone, British Prime Minister in the 1800’s. It became a dining hall for factory men until 1910, now an amateur dramatics theatre

Lever House

This was the main entrance for the office workers. The coat of arms above the doorway is a reminder of the ‘By Appointment’ royal patronage awarded to the company in 1892.

Nat West Bank

This building was originally designed as a girl’s hostel by Maxwell and Tuke in 1896. It later became the Lever Free Library, then in 1984 became a Heritage Centre.

The Village Tea Rooms

Built by Grayson & Ould in 1891, the building was originally the village shop then became the Post Office in 1894. Now it functions as a Tea Rooms.

Garden Centre

The car park of the Garden Centre is the original location of the village’s outdoor swimming pool. The pool was filled with salt water filtered, heated and pumped from the works.

The War Memorial

Designed by, Sir W. Goscombe John. 1916 – 1921. The figures represent ‘defence of the home’, soldiers guard woman and children.

Hillsborough Memorial Garden

The terraced garden and ornamental archway at the southern end of ‘The Diamond’ were erected in the early 1930’s, and designed by James Lomax-Simpson. After the Hillsborough stadium disaster in April 1989 the garden was re-dedicated and is now known as the Hillsborough Memorial Garden.

Silver Wedding Anniversary Fountain

This fountain was paid for by the employees of Lever Brothers and erected in April 1899 to commemorate the 25th wedding anniversary of Mr & Mrs Lever. The fountain has been moved twice, and originally stood on Park Road at the top of ‘The Dell’.